My dad and my uncle love Almond Roca- so I'm attempting to make my own this year instead of buying the tub-o-Roca from Costco!
Here it is- modified from a recipe I found on allrecipes.com
2 C Chopped Almonds
4 Tbsp Butter, melted
2 C Butter (don't use margarine)
2 C Granulated Sugar
6 Tbsp Hot/Boiling Water
1/4 C Corn Syrup
2 Bags Milk Chocolate Chips
1) In a 9x13 pyrex dish, pour the 4 Tbsp melted butter and the chopped almonds. Broil the almonds for about 3 minutes, mix, then broil for an additional 3 minutes. The almonds will look dark, but will not be burned.
2) Set aside 1/2 of the almonds for the topping, and spread the other half evenly along the bottom of the pyrex dish, sprinkle 1 bag of chocolate chips over the almonds, then set the dish to the side (spread the chocolate evenly over the almonds after 2-3 minutes of melting).
3) On low, melt the 2 C butter and granulated sugar, and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
4) At the end of 5 minutes, add in the water and corn syrup.
5) Increase heat to medium or just above medium, then boil this mixture until it reaches 300 F (about 15 minutes) on a candy thermometer.
6) Immediately pour the boiled mixture over the previously toasted almonds.
7) Sprinkle the second bag of chocolate chips on top of the toffee mixture and allow to set for about 2 minutes.
8) After chocolate has melted, evenly spread it over the toffee mixture with a silicone spatula, then sprinkle the remaining almonds on top of the melted chocolate.
9) After allowing the mixture to cool for about 10 minutes, score the mixture in the size pieces you desire so it will be easy to break when the mixture has completely cooled/ set. Allow to set overnight.
Yields approximately 40 pieces.