I am using a new sugar cookie recipe thanks to Cookie Crazie. She was gracious enough to share her recipe with all of us newbie cookie makers, and it is so much tastier AND the edges of the cookie are more firm/sharp looking than my old recipe. FYI- I typically double this recipe.
My Sugar Cookie recipe adapted from here: Cookie Crazie's blog (My sugar cookie decorating hero!)
1 C butter, softened
1 1/2 C sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla (or any other extract/emulsion flavor)
1/2 C sour cream
4 1/2 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Instructions: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
1) Cream butter, sugar, egg, vanilla, & sour cream.
2) Blend in dry ingredients.
3) Roll dough to desired thickness (I prefer to use a Dobord on the middle setting, cover with parchment paper, then roll out dough directly on the parchment paper that gets transferred to the baking sheet).
4) Cut into shapes.
5) Transfer parchment paper to cookie sheet OR place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet.
6) Bake for 18-20 minutes.
7) Transfer to a wire rack then cool the cookies.
8) Decorate with icing, sprinkles, or just enjoy them plain.
To make a chocolate sugar cookie:
Substitute 1/2 C cocoa for 1/2 C flour