Wednesday, January 6, 2010
Gone Fishin' with Dad
1 box White cake mix
1 box Chocolate cake mix
1.5 C Granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1.5 C Flour (all-purpose is fine, or you can use cake flour)
3/4 C Cocoa powder
2 8oz packages Cream Cheese or sour cream (I use whipped cream cheese for easier blending)
1/2 C Prune Puree or Applesauce (OR 2/3 cup of vegetable or canola oil)
1 Tbsp Butter Flavoring or 2 tsp Almond Extract
3 C Water
1C Chocolate Chips (optional)
1) Blend the wet ingredients together (except half of the water)- first cream together the cream cheese / sour cream and eggs. Once mixed, add in the Prune Puree/Applesauce/Oil and Butter Flavoring. Blend in 1/2 of the water.
2) Add in the boxed cake mixes and mix slowly until blended.
3) Mix the Cocoa Powder, Sugar and Flour slowly until well blended.
4) Blend in the Baking Powder and additional water until thoroughly mixed.
5) If the batter seems too thick, add in an additional 1/2 C of water.
6) Pour batter into a greased pan (I typically use Wilton Cake Release or make my own cake release. In a pinch I use butter flavored Crisco shortening).
7) Sprinkle the chocolate chips (I prefer to use mini-chocolate chips chips)- sprinkling on top help keeps the chocolate from sticking to the bottom of your pan while cooking- which helps with easy removal of the cake from the pan.
8) Bake in a 350F preheated oven. Baking times will vary depending on pan size.
This will make a 16" round 2" deep cake and a small 6" x 2" round or two 8" x 2" cakes.
a 16" round will take approximately 45minutes - 1 hour to bake depending on oven consistency. Make sure a toothpick can be inserted and removed without having residual batter on the toothpick.
Posted by Anonymous at 11:30 PM