Saturday, January 16, 2010
Honey Lavender Ice Cream with Fresh Vanilla Bean
Here is the recipe I used- I modified it a bit for my own purposes- and it turned out yummy! However, I wish I would have doubled the recipe- I had more than enough room in the ice cream maker for a second batch of it- and for the amount of effort to make it, doubling the recipe is a good idea.
2 C Heavy Whipping Cream
1 C Evaporated Milk
1/2 C Honey
1 Tbsp edible lavender flowers, dried
2 Lg Eggs
1/8 tsp Salt
1 Vanilla Bean (slit lengthwise)
1) Using a 2-Quart heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, bring Cream, Evaporated Milk, Honey, Lavender and Vanilla Bean until it just starts to boil.
2) Remove pan from heat. Cover and let steep for 15 minutes.
3) Pour cream mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl.
4) Scrape Vanilla bean and discard the Vanilla Bean pod and lavendar.
5) Return the custard mixture to a clean saucepan and heat over medium heat until hot.
6) Whisk together eggs and salt in a large bowl, then add 1 cup hot cream mixture in a slow stream, whisking.
7) Pour into remaining hot cream mixture (already in saucepan) and cook over moderately low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until thick enough to coat back of spoon (approximately 170 to 175°F on a candy thermometer), for about 5 minutes (do not let boil).
8) Pour custard through clean sieve into cleaned bowl (you may need to press the wooden spoon against the sieve to help the custard push through).
9) Cool custard completely, stirring occasionally, then chill, covered, until cold, at least 3 hours.
10) Freeze custard in ice cream maker. Transfer ice cream to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden.
1) To cool custard quickly after straining, set bowl in a larger bowl of ice and cold water and stir until chilled. 2) Custard can chill up to 1 day before placing into the icecream maker.
3) Ice cream can last 1 week in the freezer.
Original Recipe found on Epicurious.com. This recipe was modified based on my own personal taste and love of the Vanilla bean. Some modifications were made due to availability of ingredients.