Thursday, October 22, 2009

Almond Butter Cookies


My dream vacation is a 28 day cruise around the Mediterranean Ocean with the first stop being Greece. I have wanted to visit Greece since high school, and it continues to be my dream vacation destination. Because of my desire to make my first major trip a Grecian experience, I felt it was only fitting to make a recipe from Greece as my first experience in my Midnight Baking Adventures!

These are called Almond Butter Cookies, aka Greek Wedding Cookies. They are typically found in the ball shape or crescent / moon shape and covered with powdered sugar once they leave the oven. This cookie is kind of dry, and not ideal for dunking (will crumble!). They aren't too sweet if you only eat one or two, but will satisfy that midnight sweet-tooth craving!

Ingredients:
1/2 C blanched almonds or walnuts (Measure whole then finely chop- I used my Food Chopper)
1 C unsalted butter at room temperature
1 1/4 C confectioner's (powdered) sugar
1 egg yolk
2 C all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
*Preheat oven to 300 degrees Farenheit.
**Line two cookie sheets with parchment / waxed paper.

Steps:
1) Using a hand or stand mixer on medium speed: Blend butter, 1/4 C powdered sugar and egg yolk together until smooth.
2) Add in flour, cloves and salt until well blended.
3) Add in chopped nuts.
4) Roll into 1" balls or form dough into crescent / moon shapes and place on the lined cookie sheet 1" apart (the cookies don't expand much).
5) Bake for 10 minutes.
6) Remove from oven to cooling rack and allow to cool and set for approximately 5 minutes.
7) Fill a small bowl with the remaining 1 C of powdered sugar.
8) Roll each cookie gently in the sugar to lightly coat each cookie.
This recipe yields approximately 40 cookies.

Kitchen Tools used in this recipe:
Pampered Chef Food Chopper
1/4 C Measuring Cup
1/4 tsp Measuring Spoon
Large Mixing Bowl
Hand Mixer with Two Beaters
Pampered Cheff Small Cookie Scoop
Two Cookie Sheets
Pampered Chef Cooling Rack

This recipe was found in Williams-Sonoma's Essentials of Mediterranean Cooking.

2 comments:

Leelee said...

Those look good! I love the midnight baking adventures. It sounds like fun. I love to cook, especially bake things. My favorite things to bake are cookies and bread! Im going to copy down this recipe and give it a try!

Anonymous said...

Thanks LeeLee! I'm new to all of this so I don't know how to respond to you directly- but I wanted to say thanks for the comment and I hope you enjoy the cookies!