Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Coffin Brownie Cake



Here you see a very sad picture of my coffin cake- I will take better pictures when it is finished- this is just my rough draft :)  This coffin "cake" is actually a mix of gooey chocolatey brownies with caramel (Here is your chocolate Roberta!). I cheated and used a boxed mix for the brownies (but added chocolate chunks and caramel bits because thats how I like my brownies!), and used the "cake-like" recipe instead of the "fudge-like" recipe listed on the box.  I baked the brownies in a 13"x9" pan for 40 minutes (remember, it was a double batch!).  When I took the pan out of then oven, I allowed the brownies to cool for 10 minutes, then flipped the pan and removed the sheet of brownies. *Don't forget to use cake release or line the pan with foil or waxed paper- it can be a pain to separate the brownies and caramel from the bottom of the pain- trust me on that one!

While the brownies were baking, I made a double batch of rice krispie treats (some will be used for the Haunted House to be made tomorrow, some for the coffin brownie, and some to take to the peeps at work- they hate my cooking ;) ). 

I carved the brownies to look like a old standard wood coffin, and its depth is approximately 2".  I then cut a set of rice krispies to mirror the brownie coffin piece.  Once I set the rice krispies on top of the brownie, I cut out the middle to leave space for a final resting place for the fondant skeleton you see here:


The middle piece that I cut out will then be used as the lid that will be slid off enough to peek inside and see the skeleton. 

I plan to cover all pieces in brown fondant to give the appearance of a wooden coffin, and I will give the skeleton a pillow to rest his bony head! These steps will be completed Friday night to prepare for the Saturday party! :)

No comments: